Friday, August 31, 2012

Advanced Degrees Do Not = Prosperity


Please view at GOOD.IS here 

In most professions, salaries below the poverty line would be cause for alarm. In academia, they are treated as a source of gratitude. Volunteerism is par for the course - literally. Teaching is touted as a "calling", with compensation an afterthought. One American research university offers its PhD students a salary of $1000 per semester for the "opportunity" to design and teach a course for undergraduates, who are each paying about $50,000 in tuition. The university calls this position "Senior Teaching Assistant" because paying an instructor so far below minimum wage is probably illegal". ~ Sarah Kendzior

After finishing up a two day graduate orientation, I'm still not wavering on my decision to return to school. Although Sarah Kendzior's article, The Closing of American Academia: The Plight of Adjunct Professors highlights the end of higher education as a means to prosperity was published over a week ago, it's certainly not garnering the same kind of attention as the beast Jesus restoration. Too bad. I find it extremely relevant and timely considering my career transition into writing, criticism, and education. Reading Kendzior's piece reminded me of how models and modes of education must evolve with society and culture. But with technology and globalization, it's difficult to keep up. I provided the graphic above, which is in no way related to the article, to provide a visual schematic for those who enjoy that type of thing. So yeah...

Returning to school for an advanced arts degree seems foolish to many people. In thinking of existing and future debt, the political climate (with the 2012 elections fast approaching), and the trajectory of my research, it was not an easy choice to make. But I knew it was something I needed to do (even if I have to work and pay for it out of my pocket). Sustaining a passion is difficult but you keep at it and it is imperative to know your passion going into such a commitment (especially since grad school is so dependent on pecuniary matters). Longevity of the topic is another aspect to consider. Now, I'm not pontificating but merely stating a few things I'm learning along the way. Kendzior points out something crucial in the end of her article regarding culture and generational differences when it comes to how we perceive and value higher education. Please read the piece and share your thoughts.

Also, I'm curious to hear answers and thoughts regarding a few questions. Do you have an advanced degree? What has been your experience with finding work in your designated field? How have you defined success (for yourself)?


No comments:

Post a Comment